An Overweight Dog is a Unhealthy Dog
Statistics show that 60 million dogs in the United States are overweight or obese. If left untreated, obesity can lead to many health problems, including:
- Heart disease and breathing problems
- Arthritis and joint problems
- Diabetes mellitus
With proper nutrition and changes in lifestyle, your pet can lose weight safely, effectively and without feeling hungry. Weigh In for Health Regular weight checks will help you monitor your pet´s weight and overall health. Talk to one of the instructors at The Doghouse LLC about your pet´s ideal weight and find out what you can do to help.
Through your efforts and the help of The Doghouse LLC team, your pet can be healthier, happier and more active.
Common Causes of Weight Gain
- Overeating – Pets who are fed high calorie treats or too much food tend to gain weight
- Disease – Weight gain can be the result of a medical disorder. Talk to your veterinarian
- Neutering/Spaying – Increase the risk of weight gain. Talk to an instructor at The Doghouse to see if this procedure will help with your dogs behavior problem, and with your veterinarian for pros and cons on health issues
- Decreased activity – Pets that don´t get enough exercise may need fewer calories
- Age – Older pets are often less active, requiring fewer calories
- Make a total commitment to help your pet lose weight
- Feed a low calorie, specifically formulated food that helps pets feel full while still losing weight
- Avoid feeding your pet table scraps
- Divide the total amount to be fed each day into 3 or 4 smaller meals
- Regular, moderate exercise will help your pet. Ask your trainers at The Doghouse for advice
- Monitor your pet´s weight regularly
Exercising, training, doggy day care plus feeding schedule and in some cases special diet are the solution. Happy weight loss means safe, effective weight management without hunger. The right nutrition will encourage weight loss while helping your pet feel full. A happy dog is a dog that is trained and in shape. Being overweight, especially in Florida, puts a lot of unnecessary stress on your dog.
Ask us about the canine weight loss programs at the The Doghouse